Rubrik Cloud Data Management (CDM) is just that; a system designed to manage data in a cloud computing environment. It distributes data, meta data, and task management information across the cluster to achieve scale with exceptional performance. The platform unifies backup, instant recovery, replication, global indexed search, archival, compliance, and copy data management to effectively administer the data and storage management across the data center and the public cloud.
A concern most IT teams have when it comes to data and the cloud is security and compliance. What’s nice about the Rubrik CDM solution is that it provides built-in military-level encryption and is in process with Common Criteria. Using a multi-dimensional approach, Rubrik makes it possible to couple data security with management security from start to finish.
Their CDM solution brief cites 5 methods of securing data:
- Role-based access control. Control over access to data is defined at a platform level, no matter the location. Self-service access allows users to conduct backups, restores, and archival without any impact to production.
- End-to-end encryption. As the brief states: Data is secured with HDD and SSD encryption with the r528 appliance and from the source to target location whether at-rest or in-transit, on-prem or in the cloud. Rubrik also supports software-based encryption at rest on all the r300 appliances. All data is encrypted before leaving the appliance for the cloud.
- Centralized compliance reporting. Automated reporting tracks the success of backup, replication, and archival jobs.
- Flexible key management. Cryptographic keys are protected with an internal key manager. They use an embedded Trusted Platform Modules (TPMs) or use a KMIP-compliant external key management solution.
- Instant recovery. As their brief states: Protect from physical breaches by reverting to a point-in-time to determine breach or for recovery from ransomware. Our users have recovered from ransomware attacks and resumed operations in under an hour with zero data lost due to the ability to recover instantly and even utilize Rubrik’s API-first architecture for further recovery automation.
Data storage and management across cloud platforms today is an imperative, but poses challenges for security and compliance. The Rubrik Cloud Data Management system brings data recovery, management, and security to complex cloud computing environments. As always, be sure to check out our iLab, where we’ll guide you to making smart, informed decisions.