In a blog late last year – Pure Storage Redefines All-Flash Storage with FlashArray//X – we spoke to some of the benefits we see with this new class of data storage. To recap…
- It’s super-fast!
- Consolidation is dense.
- Simplicity at scale.
- It’s evergreen.
Pure Storage has done a great job of redefining all-flash storage. It unites the best qualities of SAN and DAS, namely shared access, reliable, fast, simple, and inexpensive, while eliminating many of the negatives, such as mixed performance, complexity, lack of software. Pure Storage has partnered with Rubrik and their Cloud Data Management (CDM) solution to allow end users to rapidly restore entire machines in bulk with minimal effort. This includes backup, disaster recovery, replication, and data archival to private or public cloud computing environments.
Together, Pure Storage and Rubrik address some key data and storage management challenges that most organizations face in their data center, including:
- Lengthy and time-consuming deployments. Pure Storage claims a rack and go with Rubrik in less than one hour thanks in part to Rubrik’s automated virtual and physical infrastructure discovery.
- Complex management. The day-to-day management of Pure Storage and Rubrik can be done with just two tabs in one browser. You can create complete data protection policies in Rubrik that can then be automatically executed for all VMs or physical databases and applications simply and easily.
- Lack of scalability. According to Pure Storage… you can “add capacity and upgrade systems seamlessly and easily. Grow as you go with Rubrik’s scale-out fabric that eliminates forklift upgrades. Deduplication, compression, and other data services scale in-line with the cluster to maximize efficiency and savings.”
- Performance bottlenecks. Rubrik’s hybrid-flash architecture quickly ingests array-based snapshots, which reduces the VM application stun effect for highly transactional production workloads. This integrates nicely with the Pure Storage FlashArray//m to leverage its zero-cost snapshot capabilities.
- Lack of visibility and analytics. Built-in custom reporting allows for visualization and sharing of analytics across numerous metrics, including data management, compliance, and capacity utilization.
- Oversized footprint. Pure Storage claims (and has seen in deployments) a data center footprint reduction of more than 70 percent along with Rubrik’s ability to converge physically separate hardware and software resources into a single fabric.
Rubrik delivers their robust Cloud Data Management capabilities for Pure Storage FlashBlade, helping to minimize or eliminate many of the data and storage management challenges enterprises face today. As always, you can utilize ASG’s Pure Storage certified engineering team to evaluate this partnership in your environment. Our expert enterprise IT architectural design team will help you evaluate storage solutions in a practical setting to see how they address your challenges. It’s a great way to make informed decisions.