The vCloud Suite: Tackling 3 Common Data Center and IT Challenges
The Software-Defined Data Center (SDDC) applies the same abstraction, pooling, and automation concepts of virtualization to all the resources in the data center—including networking, storage, CPU, and security—and combines them to deliver IT as a service (ITaaS).
Today, VMware is offering what is perhaps the broadest portfolio and vision of the SDDC. The vCloud Suite brings a broad collection of products to the table that virtualizes almost every area of the data center, while making those virtualized instances better managed and more efficient. In fact, the vCloud Suite addresses some of the many (and all too familiar) data center challenges, including:
- Operational inefficiencies – Data centers today are often complex with multiple silos and high equipment costs—and the resulting manual and resource-intensive management drives up CapEx and OpEx. The vCloud Suite can standardize and consolidate data centers with intelligent and policy-based IR operations, which reduces these costs.
- Infrastructure inflexibility – Business owner demands for delivering apps and solutions quickly (in near real-time) put a strain on existing equipment and infrastructure, resulting in Shadow IT. With vCloud Suite, IT can rapidly provision infrastructure and applications, yielding increased productivity.
- Downtime and security weaknesses –Applications and devices (BYOD and the like) strain data security and privacy and increase the likelihood of critical system downtime, which can affect business productivity. The vCloud Suite provides high availability and business continuity/disaster recovery through application, server, cluster, and data center failures that reduces downtime for all applications. Policy-based governance and compliance monitoring ensure that business rules are enforced and applications have the necessary levels of security.
A Teneja Group Technology Brief (PDF) on the vCloud Suite also reported some impressive cost savings:
- 25 percent increase in VMs managed per administrator among VMware customers
- 56 percent reduction in operational costs thanks to faster provisioning (66% faster) and reduced management (46% less time)
- 70 percent reduction in infrastructure CapEx
- 1.7x more agile deployment of physical and virtual infrastructure
- 1.2x better operational visibility and compliance with 1/3 less time and effort
Ultimately, the vCloud Suite can help organizations realize the full potential of a SDDC faster, by virtualizing data center infrastructure and automating service delivery, while making improvements in efficiency, agility, and control.