Four Cloud Storage Obstacles That NetApp AltaVault Addresses
Most traditional backup and recovery solutions fall short of enterprise needs. They’re too slow, too expensive, tend to increase risk, and are overly complex. Using the cloud for storage today is relatively commonplace, but there are still hurdles to overcome. Our partner, NetApp, has made some big inroads in overcoming many of these cloud storage obstacles with its AltaVault Appliance.
- Maintain security and compliance in a multitenant environment. Many enterprises today are under strict SLA requirements when handling their data. AltaVault encrypts data and secures it at all times (in flight and at rest) using FIPS 140-2 level 1-validated encryption. In addition, you can control which employees have access to the data with role-based access controls.
- Easily manage large volumes of data, even with limited bandwidth. AltaVault uses inline deduplication and compression, resulting in up to 30:1 data reduction ratios. And with built-in WAN optimization, it reduces the amount of data that’s transported to the cloud while increasing transfer speeds up to four times.
- Enable simple deployment for a faster cloud on-ramp. You can get up and running with AltaVault in less than 30 minutes and in just three steps.
- Give employees rapid access to data. Backups with AltaVault are 80 percent faster than with tape and recovery times—what used to take hours or days now takes seconds or minutes.
As with any cloud storage solution, you need to know your own environment, and you might consider working with an IT consultant. Also, be sure to:
- Plan for the unexpected. While cloud storage solutions such as AltaVault are becoming increasingly reliable, it’s always good to plan for contingencies—especially when it comes to your data.
- Understand the legal implications of a data breach. Some industries such as financial services and healthcare require different solutions for data storage and management.
- Think long term. Data growth is inevitable. Start planning for your future storage needs today.
- Establish data use policies. AltaVault allows you to set access rights to data. Make sure you establish policies in advance on who has access to what data.
- Factor in time and bandwidth requirements. While AltaVault makes managing large volumes of data easier than traditional storage solutions, there’s still a time commitment to consider.
Using the cloud for data storage, backup, and recovery is a great way to gain efficiencies, improve IT infrastructure performance, and save money. AltaVault from NetApp is worth exploring. If you’re interested in learning more about this and other solutions, contact us today!