Cloud Computing Insights – Adoption Rates & Data Security Concerns

Posted by Dustin Smith, Chief Technologist
April 20, 2016

Intel Security recently released a report, Blue Skies Ahead? The State of Cloud Computing, that provided some interesting data on cloud adoption and cloud security. While the rate of cloud adoption is certainly strong, the Intel report shows that the pace of this adoption is quite rapid. In fact, the data suggests that in just over a year, US enterprises will be allocating 80 percent of their IT budgets to cloud computing services.

More inside the report numbers:

  • 44 – The number of cloud services organizations are currently using on average
  • Types of data stored in the cloud:
    • 52% - business intelligence
    • 52% - financial accounting
    • 48% - employee records
    • 40% - customers’ personal information
    • 13% - do not know
  • 13% of companies completely trust the public cloud with securing sensitive data

The report also revealed a gap in board-level (CXO) awareness of the security implications of storing sensitive data in the public cloud. In the US, only 38 percent fully understand the risk, leaving 62 percent with no idea or only a partial understanding of the risks. With all of the security breaches that have occurred over the past few years, there’s still a need for a better awareness of the risks associated with storing sensitive data in the cloud.

Another report, this one by JP Morgan, suggests that workloads running in the public cloud will increase from 16.2 percent to 41.3 percent in five years. This tripling of the public cloud workloads will create an architectural shift in the technology requirements of enterprises looking to protect their sensitive data and manage the cloud.

While there’s a lot for organizations to digest, they can start by asking themselves a few questions that can help inform a cloud computing policy:

  1. What external devices running company-approved cloud services will be allowed on your corporate network? Under what circumstances will they not be allowed?
  2. What company data can be accessed via the cloud or using an external device?
  3. What cloud-based applications will not be allowed?
  4. What password or authentication protocols will be required?
  5. How will IT support the use of cloud computing solutions and services?

Cloud adoption rates are accelerating and will continue to do so. A robust cloud computing policy is a must today to counter Shadow IT, BYOD and other Hybrid IT concerns – not to mention the approved use of cloud services. 

About Dustin Smith Throughout his twenty-year career, Dustin Smith has specialized in designing enterprise architectural solutions. As the Chief Technologist, Dustin is responsible for the strategic direction of aligning the company’s growing consulting services with the client challenges he finds in the field, and he works closely with his regional architects to design new programs to address these issues.

Filed Under: Cloud Computing

0 Responses to 'Cloud Computing Insights – Adoption Rates & Data Security Concerns'

Leave a Comment

Please copy "kHmwufhK32g8t67Id8F5MfXZzacUEyB9" into the field labeled "Uncaptcha"