7 Reasons to Consider Virtual SAN
Optimized for vSphere environments, VMware Virtual SAN applies the principles of the software-defined data center to storage, resulting in a high-performance and cost-effective alternative for virtualized environments. It puts the application in charge and handles storage provisioning and management from the hypervisor level.
VMware’s Tech Trends explores seven reasons to consider Virtual SAN. Here’s a summary of what it offers:
- Software-Defined Storage Embedded in vSphere. Virtual SAN is embedded into the ESXi™ kernel to deliver unmatched performance by minimizing the data I/O path. The Virtual SAN hypervisor-converged architecture allows storage and compute to run in the same physical host with minimal overhead and easy management through the vSphere Web Client.
- Ability to Run on Any Standard x86 Server. Virtual SAN runs on any server currently supported by vSphere and a wide variety of other hardware components, which gives you the flexibility to build a storage solution that meets your specific needs.
- Storage Policy-Based Management Framework. The policy-based management framework enables the VM to define the right amount of capacity, performance and availability it needs.
- vSphere Web Client Management. Deploying Virtual SAN takes a few clicks and uses the same user interface that is used for vSphere and compute.
- High Performance with Flash Acceleration. Virtual SAN can accelerate performance by pooling server-side HDD and SSD storage resources to create a read/write caching tier.
- Highly Resilient Distributed RAID. Virtual SAN can deliver a highly resilient shared storage tier optimized for virtual environments.
- Deep Integration with VMware Stack. Virtual SAN is interoperable and works with the VMware stack to deliver convenience and ease of use.
Storage virtualization solutions – such as those from VMware – can create the foundation for a modern software-defined data center. You’ll get a virtualized storage environment that delivers all the cost savings and simplified management that virtualized storage can offer. Virtual SAN delivers enterprise-class, high performance storage for any virtualized application, including business critical applications. It’s VM-centric management approach, along with its seamless integration with VMware vSphere and the entire VMware stack, makes it the simplest storage platform for VMs.
For details on these seven Virtual SAN considerations, download the Tech Brief.