5 Ways Hitachi’s All-Flash Virtual Storage Platform Delivers
Hitachi has designed a purpose-built flash solution for enterprise workloads. Hitachi Accelerated Flash (HAF) is integrated with the VSP family’s Storage Virtualization Operating System, which was engineered to accelerate the I/O path for access to flash devices. The result is a complete “flash-accelerated” refresh of the operating system with improved I/O processing, higher multithreading support, and faster internal data movement. It also reduces response times by as much as 65%. These changes triple system performance from the operating system alone.
Hitachi has approached flash by integrating the best available flash technology into the storage portfolio. Hitachi supports SSD in-drive form factors, but the company also recognized an opportunity to deliver advanced performance, resiliency, and offload capabilities beyond what SSD has by developing its own flash technology – Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform (VSP) F series all-flash systems.
The VSP F series offers a number of IT benefits worth considering, including:
- Fast, consistent performance. Hitachi claims that its flash module drives (FMD DC2s) achieve consistent sub-millisecond response times even at scale, and deliver five times the write performance and three times the read performance of SSDs.
- Strong reliability. Because of the systems built-in redundancy, Hitachi can claim 100% availability. Combined with strong data recovery tools, VSP F series delivers zero recovery point and recovery time objective (RPO/RTO) failures and simpler backups.
- Better operational simplicity. VSP F series provides automated provisioning and global data protection that’s quick, easy, and without complexity. By optimizing its core storage system code to work in a flash-first way, Hitachi has removed the disruption that can occur when IT tries to manage mismatched all-flash point solutions. The result is simplicity, not complexity.
- More scalable options. With three models, the VSP F series allows you to add flash modules as you need them to accommodate your data storage and management growth needs.
- Simple migration paths. IT often runs into problems migrating to flash, including schedule and cost overruns and extended downtime. Migration to VSP F series is less complex since it was built with migration efficiency in mind.
An all-flash storage solution can often generate more income with more transactions per second. It can improve customer satisfaction with consistent service levels, and it can stimulate better business decisions and increased employee productivity with analytics and detailed reporting. Regardless of why you may choose an all-flash storage solution, be sure to check out Hitachi’s Virtual Storage Platform.